We will post alerts of fraudulent activities consumers should watch out for. Fraudsters often use the names of reputable financial services companies in Canada in their scams.
September 26, 2018
Canada Post service disruption
A Canada Post strike could begin as early as October 22, 2018. Here is how we will handle any service disruption.
Submitting Health and Dental Claims
- eClaims - Plan members can submit claims* by eClaims on the Plan Member website at pmw.empire.ca
- Fax - Plan members can fax completed claim forms and receipts* to Group Health Claims at 1-855-619-0828, or 613-548-8754
* retain all original receipts for future reference
Health & Dental Claim Payments
Sign up for EFT Direct Deposit and Electronic Explanation of Benefits (eEOB)
In order to receive claim payments during any postal disruption, you can sign up for EFT Direct Deposit of claim payments and eEOB at pmw.empire.ca. If you do not elect to use EFT and eEOB, cheques will be mailed on the day the postal disruption ends.
- If you are not registered to use the plan member website, you can register at pmw.empire.ca and follow the simple instructions.
- You can also fax a request for EFT Direct Deposit and eEOB to 1-855-619-0828. Include your email address, a VOID cheque, (embossed with your name) and include the Group and Certificate numbers on the void cheque.
Life, Weekly Indemnity (Short Term Disability) & Long Term Disability (LTD) Claims
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- By courier - send forms and documentation to our Group Life and Disability department. If you have not registered for EFT Direct Deposit, claim/benefit payments will be sent by courier.
- By fax - send completed claim forms and other documentation to Life & Disability Claims at 1-855-430-9455 or 613-548-8402.
Insurance and investment customers
- We will courier all claim cheques and cheques greater than $50,000. All other cheques will be mailed as soon as service resumes.
Premiums still need to be paid on time, even during a postal strike. Payments can be made through online banking by adding ‘Empire – Individual’ as a payee and including your policy number (e.g. 001234567L), or our Customer Service team can set you up on an Automatic Premium Payment plan. Call us at 1 877 548-1881.
September 06, 2018
Scheduled maintenance on Empire Life websites September 15-16
We are performing scheduled maintenance on our network and websites on the weekend of September 15-16.
During the maintenance window, our Group plan member, administrator, and advisor websites will not be available. Our customer portal, myempire.ca and Fast and Full life application will be unavailable. Our Fast and Full investment application will be available, however our Class Plus 3.0 illustrator will not. There will also be limited functionality on some of other sites and our contact centres will not be available.
This work will ensure the continued reliability and stability of our platforms so we can continue to be simple, fast and easy to do business with.
We thank you for your patience and understanding. If you have any questions, please contact our customer service team at 1 877 548-1881 or email us at email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
June 25, 2018
Fraudulent cheque scam
We have received reports of people receiving fraudulent cheques using duplicate serial numbers of real Empire Life cheques previously cashed.
If you receive from us that you suspect is a fraud, please advise us immediately by calling our Customer Service Team at 1 800 561-1268 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
May 18, 2017
DocuSign Phishing Incident
On May 16, 2017, we were notified by DocuSign, a company that provides a service for our online applications that a third party had gained temporary access to a server used by DocuSign to store customer emails.
The server contained only email addresses of people who opened an account with DocuSign before May 15, 2017. No other personal information was on the server. Since then, DocuSign has reported an increase in phishing emails sent to its customers.
Only customers who signed up for a DocuSign account may be at risk of receiving these phishing emails. If you’ve simply accessed or signed a document using their eSignature service without setting up an account, your email address is not at risk. DocuSign’s core eSignature service, envelopes and customer documents remain secure.
You can protect yourself from phishing emails by never clicking on links, opening attachments or replying to emails from an unknown source.
To learn more about this incident, visit the DocuSign Trust Center.
November 20, 2015
On November 20, 2015, Empire Life was involved in an email phishing incident. This website provides information for our customers and advisors. Should you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Learn More
April 11, 2016
Mystery shopper scam
Did you receive a text to be a mystery shopper or cheques that looked like they were issued by our company? It’s a scam.
August 31, 2012
Advance Fee Schemes
The names of reputable financial services companies in Canada and the United States continue to be used for fraudulent purposes. Individuals are contacted either by telephone or through classified ads and offered loans and mortgages at very low interest rates on the condition that an advance deposit or processing fee is sent by wire transfer. Applicants do not receive the promised loan offers or funds.
Empire Life has no knowledge or involvement in this matter and we believe it to be fraud.
Recently, these illegal scams have used the names:
- Michelle Williams
- Chris Wood
- Chanel McGhan
- Michelle Gilbert
- Chris Adams
- David Walter
- Ricky Jones
- Scott Benson
As well as the company names:
- Empire Financial Group
- Empire Life Group
- Empire Financial
- Empire Financial Services
- Empire Private Trust
The Empire Life Insurance Company is not involved in these illegal acts.
If you are contacted with one of these fraudulent offers, please advise us by calling our Customer Service Unit at 1 800 561-1268 or by email at email@example.com.
We also recommend reporting any incident to the Phonebusters National Call Centre (PNCC).
- Telephone: 1 888 495-8501 (toll-free in Canada and the USA)
- Fax: 1 888 654-9426 (toll-free in Canada and the USA)
- Telephone: 1 705 495-8501 (overseas and local)
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org