Recent diversity & inclusion initiatives include:
- We have launched a five-year diversity and inclusion action plan to support Empire Life’s goal to cultivate an engaged and sustainable organization while building an inclusive community. We have two dedicated full-time staff members leading diversity and inclusion initiatives, a steering committee that reports regularly to the Board of Directors and several sub-committees working to address topics such as communications, training, human resources, policy and talent processes.
- We are engaging employees to increase awareness about diversity and inclusion initiatives and provide training on inclusive language, unconscious bias and microaggressions in the workplace.
- We are improving policies, practices and programs to create a more inclusive and equitable workplace.
- We have signed a Workplace Inclusion Charter where we commit to developing and implementing an action plan to help us improve inclusion.
- We have conducted a voluntary self-identification survey of all employees to create a diversity profile for our organization.
- We have introduced an employee mentoring program to support inclusion efforts for new hires.
- We have introduced an Indigenous Land acknowledgement: Empire Life acknowledges that the land on which we gather is the traditional territory of the First Nations, Métis and Inuit. We share our respect and gratitude for all Indigenous Peoples who have lived on these lands for centuries. We are grateful for the opportunity to live, learn, and work on these lands.
- We are establishing employee resource groups (ERGs) Our very first ERG is Women@Empire which targeted towards women and allies. ERGs are voluntary groups usually led and participated in by employees who share a characteristic (i.e., gender, ethnicity, religious affiliation, lifestyle, etc.), interest or lived experience. These groups exist to provide and receive support and enhance their career and personal development in the workplace.
The ERGs have three main objectives:
- Engage our Empire community to understand the issues our employees are facing and develop programming and tools that educate and provide support to employees.
- Facilitate collaboration and encourage mentorship for emerging leaders.
- Sponsor professional workshops that provide relevant tools that employees need to succeed in the workforce.