These policies outline the Company’s requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (“AODA”).
- Our Accessibility Policy - Customer Service Standards exists to achieve service excellence when dealing with all persons.
- Our Accessibility Policy and Plan - Integrated Standards outlines Empire Life's strategy to achieve accessibility for job applicants, employees and customers with disabilities.
Customer Service Standards - Further Information
- Designated employees will be trained on policies, practices and procedures affecting the way services are provided to people living with disabilities. Employees will also be trained on an ongoing basis when changes are made to these policies, practices and procedures.
- Training is developed and delivered during Corporate Orientation and as required when an employee transfers to a position where they are required to deal with the public.
- Training will focus on:
- The purpose of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the Customer Service Standard.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person.
- How to use and maintain assistive devices available on Empire Life property.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty accessing Empire Life services.
- Our accessibility policy, procedures and practices relating to the Customer Service Standard.
- We are committed to providing accessible customer service for persons living with disabilities. Comments on our services regarding how well those expectations are being met are welcome and appreciated. You may contact us by:
- Mail: Ombudsman, Empire Life, 259 King St E, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3A8
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 1 877 390 6557
- Phone: By calling Bell Relay Service to speak with our Ombudsman 1 877 548 1881 Extension 3236.
- You may also provide feedback in person by arranging an appointment with our Company Ombudsman at 1 877 548 1881 Extension 3236.
- All feedback regardless of format will be directed to our Ombudsman. Customers can expect to hear back within 15 (fifteen) business days.
Workplace Emergency Preparedness
- We are committed to implementing workplace emergency preparedness procedures which take into account all persons who might be within an Empire Life premises during the time of an emergency including those living with disabilities.
- We are committed to providing individualized workplace emergency response information to employees who self-identify as having a disability and that individualized information is necessary.
- For any employee who receives individualized workplace emergency response information and who requests and consents to receiving assistance during an emergency, a designated person will provide this assistance.
- Information on workplace emergency response will be provided to any employee where we are made aware of the need for accommodation during an emergency.
- We will review individualized workplace emergency response information when:
- an employee moves to a different location within the Company;
- the employee’s overall accommodation needs or plans are reviewed; and
- the Company reviews its general emergency response policies.
Modifications to the Customer Service Policy or other policies
- No changes will be made to this policy before considering the impact on persons living with disabilities.
- Any Empire Life operational policy affecting customer service that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of persons living with disabilities will be modified or revoked.
Questions about our Company Policy or Procedures
- If anyone wishes to receive a copy of these documents in an alternate format or has a question about their content or purpose, please contact:
The Empire Life Insurance Company
275 King St. E
Kingston ON K7L 3A8
Phone: 1 877 548 1881 Extension 3236