If you are a beneficiary or the executor of an estate, and need to make a life insurance claim, follow these four steps to proceed.
Please note that once your claim is approved, you will receive the cheque in the mail.
1. Determine if you are eligible for an Express Claim.
If your claim is less than $50,000 and has been “in-force” for more than 10 years, there is no need to submit any forms. Your claim processing can be expedited.
If you are eligible, call 1 800 561-1268 or 1 613 548-1881 for expedited processing for Express Claims. Otherwise, proceed to step 2 below.
2. Call 1 800 561-1268 or 1 613 548-1881 to start the claim process. Having the following information ready will allow us to better assist you with your claim:
- Client or policy account number
- Deceased full name & address
- Deceased date and cause of death
- Funeral home: name, city, phone number
- Beneficiary: name, address, email, phone number
- Executor: name, address, phone number
3. You will then be sent a claim form or instructed which form to complete, if necessary.
4. Send the completed forms to:
Mail: Customer Service, Individual Insurance
259 King Street East
K7L 3A8 Canada
Fax: 1 800 419-4051
If you prefer, you can send your claim forms to your advisor so they can send them to Empire Life on your behalf.
Once we have received and reviewed the forms, we may contact you for additional information.
If your claim has been approved, you will receive the cheque in the mail.