The Empire Life 2017 “Canada 150 Fun Fact” contest (the “Contest”) begins on June 21, 2017 at 12:01 a.m. (ET) and ends on July 4, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. (ET) (the “Contest Period”).
1. Who can enter
- Residents of Canada
- who have reached the age of majority in their province or territory of residence on the day the draws for prizes (“prize draws”) take place
Employees, representatives and agents of The Empire Life Insurance Company (also referred to as “Empire Life”) and Empire Life Investments Inc., members of their immediate families (parents, children, siblings and spouses, regardless of where they live) and members of households of such employees are not eligible to enter the Contest.
2. How to enter
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
By entering the contest, you consent to Empire Life posting your name on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter if you are selected as a potential winner.
Every day during the contest period, Empire Life will post a Canada 150 Fun Fact on its Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts and ask people to leave a comment.
To enter the Contest, eligible entrants must do the following within the Contest Period:
- For Instagram: Tag a friend: Follow Empire Life on Instagram, leave a comment and tag a friend in the comment field on any of the Empire Life Canada 150 Fun Fact posts
- For Facebook: Post a comment on any of the Empire Life Canada 150 Fun Fact posts.
- For Twitter: Reply to or retweet any of the Empire Life Canada 150 Fun Fact posts
Limit of one entry per person per day, regardless of the number of times an eligible entrant comments, tags, replies or retweets.
Comments must not contain:
- any content that is or could be considered inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, as determined by Empire Life
- personal information of individuals
Empire Life reserves the right to remove any comment at any time without notice for any reason listed above at its sole discretion. If this occurs, Empire Life also reserves the right to disqualify the person from the Contest without notice.
There will be a total of four (4) prizes to be won: three (3) Canada 150 gift baskets valued at approx. $150 each and one (1) grand prize of a Great Canadian Gift Card Pack containing five (5) $100 gift certificates from any one or more of the following stores: Roots, Canadian Tire, Loblaws, Petro Canada, or Shoppers Drug Mart (maximum retail value of $500 CDN).
Limit of one prize per person.
Prizes will be in Canadian dollars and are provided to winners “as is” without warranty of any kind and are subject to the terms and conditions of the issuing merchant. No substitution of prizes is permitted except by Empire Life in its sole discretion. Empire Life reserves the right to substitute another prize of equal value (manufacturer’s suggested retail price), if a prize cannot be awarded as described for any reason. Prizes are not redeemable for cash or credit, in whole or in part.
4. How potential winners are selected and notified
- All draws to be held on July 6, 2017 (the “Draw Date”) at Empire Life head office located at 259 King Street East, Kingston, Ontario at 3 p.m.
- One (1) eligible entrant will be randomly selected as the potential winner of the grand prize of the Great Canadian Gift Card Pack (as described above, maximum value of $500 CDN) from all eligible entrants who have entered the Contest.
- Three (3) eligible entrants will be randomly selected, each as the potential winner of a Canada 150 gift basket, valued at approx. $150 CDN.
- Limit of one prize per person.
On the Draw Date, Empire Life will notify potential winners by posting their names on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Potential winners must reply to Empire Life by the method indicated in the post within ten (10) business days following the Draw Date.
Odds of winning
The odds of winning a prize will depend upon the total number of eligible entrants who enter the Contest during the Contest Period.
5. How potential winners claim their prize
To claim their prize, potential winners must:
- reply to Empire Life by the method indicated in the post within ten (10) business days following the Draw Date
- correctly answer, unaided, a time-limited skill-testing question to be administered by Empire Life,
- confirm that he or she has complied with these official Contest Rules, and
- sign a liability and publicity release form provided by Empire Life.
If a potential winner does not contact Empire Life within the ten-day period, or the necessary forms are not completed within the required time period, or the skill-testing question is not answered correctly, the prize will be forfeited and another potential winner will be randomly selected as the potential winner of the prize from the remaining eligible entrants who have entered the Contest. Return of any prize or prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and result in the selection of an alternate winner.
Any eligible entrant selected as an alternate potential winner will have the same rights and obligations as the original potential winner that was selected.
6. General Terms and Conditions
By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to the terms of these official Contest rules and agree to abide by all decisions of Empire Life, which are final in all matters pertaining to the Contest.
The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations, and is void where prohibited by law.
By entering the Contest, all participants release and hold harmless Empire Life, its affiliated and related companies and all of their respective directors, officers, shareholders, employees, agents, successors and assigns (collectively, the “Contest Entities”) from any and all liability, claim, loss, injury or damage of any kind that they (or any other person or entity) suffer or incur arising from or in connection with, directly or indirectly, the Contest or any prize won.
Empire Life reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any person from the Contest, and to ban the person from any future Contest of Empire Life, if Empire Life finds the person:
- tampered with the entry process or the operation of the Contest
- acted in violation of the official Contest rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person,
Any attempt by an entrant or any other person to deliberately damage or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and, should such an attempt be made, Empire Life reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
If the Contest is not capable of running as planned for any reason, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the reasonable control of the Contest Entities which corrupt or affect the administration, security or proper conduct of this Contest, Empire Life reserves the right, at its sole discretion to, without advance notice, terminate or suspend the Contest, in whole or in part, or modify it in any way, subject to the approval of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux in respect of residents of Quebec.
7. Limitations of Liability
Without limiting the release set out in section 6 above, the Contest Entities will not be liable for:
- any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by users or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilised in the Contest or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of entries in the Contest;
- any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect or delay of any transmission in connection with the Contest;
- any communications line failure, theft, destruction or unauthorised access to, or alteration of, entries;
- any problems with, or technical malfunction of, any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, or failure of e-mail which may occur for any reason whatsoever, including technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or combination thereof;
- inaccessibility or unavailability of the entry portals on any particular day;
- any injury or damage to participants’ or to any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials in the Contest.
8. Third Party Liability
The Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with the third party social media sites Facebook, Instagram or Twitter or the retailers designated for gift card prizes (Roots, Canadian Tire, Loblaws, Petro Canada, Shoppers Drug Mart).
9. For Quebec Residents
Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity Contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purposes of helping the parties reach a settlement.